[Haskell-cafe] Sending email from a Haskell program

Jeremy Shaw jeremy.shaw at linspireinc.com
Wed Sep 26 14:32:42 EDT 2007

At Wed, 26 Sep 2007 22:11:12 +0700,
Peter Gammie wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does anyone have a library for sending email from a Haskell program?
> I'd like something portable and cabalised.
>
> I note there is code in darcs to send email on Windows and UNIX-y
> systems, and also something in WASH (I know not what). Apparently
> there is an SMTP server of some kind (?) in HAppS, but I want to re-
> use the system's MTA.

Another not-quite-there-yet solution is to use this library to create
a mime message:

http://www.n-heptane.com/nhlab/repos/haskell-mime/

In Text.MIME.Compose there is a wrapper for calling sendmail (so,
its not portable yet).

That MIME library is currently undergoing a very slow rewrite. The
next version will have a different API, and will have support for
things like attachments, multipart messages, etc.

If you just want to send basic text emails, the current version might
work for you...

j.