[Haskell-cafe] PROPOSAL: Rename haskell@ to haskell-announce@

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Mon Sep 24 09:24:12 EDT 2007

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 01:00:40PM +0100, Claus Reinke wrote:

> in other words, people were meant to subscribe either
> to haskell or to haskell+haskell-cafe, and posting to
> haskell was meant to be a flag able to raise a topic
> briefly over the general din in haskell-cafe.

Do people think that is working? Like I think I said in an earlier mail,
apart form the announcements and CFPs etc, I couldn't see anything that
distinguished those messages sent to haskell@ from most of the -cafe
traffic.

Also, I think HWN now does a good job of bringing the current issues to
the haskell@ readers.

> (note that the second is slightly misleading: *everything*
> is off-topic on haskell@ after a few exchanges, i think;
> note also that crossposting was explicitly ruled out)

I don't think cross-posting works well on the lists at all; unless
people do some magic they get 2 copies of all the mails, and you can end
up with some subthreads only on one list and some only on another.

> however, it has become a problem, and i don't know
> whether everyone on haskell-cafe is really subscribed
> to haskell as well anymore.

I think it's reasonable to assume that people subscribing to a list
called foo-cafe will also subscribe to lists called foo or foo-announce.
And if for some reason someone did choose not to, they won't want to be
CCed with things sent to those lists.

> and busy haskellers can see on haskell@ whenever
> there is a thread on haskell-cafe that they might want
> to read/join.

Which they would do by polling the web archives or something?

> does this sound workable?

It sounds bizarre to me.

Thanks
Ian