[Haskell-cafe] Library Process (was Building "production stable" software in Haskell)

Ketil Malde ketil at ii.uib.no
Mon Sep 24 02:28:06 EDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-09-23 at 21:17 -0400, David Menendez wrote:

> My point was that I'm not aware of any packaging systems that don't
> have a global "installed"/"not installed" bit for each package, which
> isn't suited to handling Haskell libraries.

I don't agree - you are assuming there is a one to one correspondence
between Cabal libraries and binary packages.
The normal way to resolve this is that each source library gets compiled
to multiple binary packages, which optionally can be unified as virtual
packages 'providing' specific functionality.

E.g. on my system (Ubuntu), I installed the virtual package 'ghc' to get
GHC 6.6(.1?) which is actually provided by the package called 'ghc6'.
In addition, I have the QuickCheck library installed, from a package
named 'libghc6-quickcheck-dev', making room for libhugs-quickcheck-dev'
etc.

-k