[Haskell-cafe] Library Process (was Building "production stable" software in Haskell)

David Menendez dave at zednenem.com
Sun Sep 23 21:17:48 EDT 2007

On 9/23/07, Isaac Dupree <isaacdupree at charter.net> wrote:
> Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> > Hello David,
> >
> > Sunday, September 23, 2007, 10:28:41 PM, you wrote:
> >
> >> Let's say I have more than one Haskell implementation on my computer,
> >> e.g. GHC 6.6, GHC 6.7, and Hugs. (In MacPorts, these are the ghc,
> >> ghc-devel, and hugs packages, respectively.)
> >
> >> Let's further say that I want to install the Edison API package.
> >> Obviously, to get make it available in all three environments, the
> >> library needs to be compiled twice and installed three times.
> >
> > :) it should be compiled three times, too. different ghc versions has
> > been never intended to be binary-compatible
>
> I thought so at first, too... after a minute I realized it probably
> means that Hugs doesn't _compile_ anything in advance of installation.
> So I guess the number is right at least, depending what "compile" is
> taken to mean.

I meant compilation in the sense of producing object code. Of course,
you still have to build the code for hugs (preprocessing and such), so
I guess the fact that you aren't actually compiling the code is
irrelevant.

My point was that I'm not aware of any packaging systems that don't
have a global "installed"/"not installed" bit for each package, which
isn't suited to handling Haskell libraries.

--
Dave Menendez <dave at zednenem.com>
<http://www.eyrie.org/~zednenem/>