[Haskell-cafe] Building "production stable" software in Haskell

Adrian Hey ahey at iee.org
Mon Sep 17 16:52:42 EDT 2007

Andrew Coppin wrote:
> Adrian Hey wrote:
>> Personally I don't really like the idea of Data.Map, Data.Map.AVL or
>> any other lib becoming entrenched as official or de-facto standards.
>> It seems like a recipe for stagnation to me. IMHO such libs just
>> shouldn't be bundled with ghc (or any other compiler) for this reason.
>
> Out of curiosity... what's so bad about "stagnation"? (Otherwise known
> as "having a fixed structure that everybody can rely on"...)

What's bad about stagnation is that nobody will bother to produce
anything better (at least not as a fully polished publicly available
open source project), precisely because they have little chance of
achieving a user base exceeding 1 (at least not if the attitude of
David and Neil is typical of the community culture).

Regards
--
Adrian Hey