[Haskell-cafe] Building "production stable" software in Haskell

Adrian Hey ahey at iee.org
Mon Sep 17 06:07:10 EDT 2007

Ketil Malde wrote:
> It seems Adrian's library is a replacement for Data.Map, only with
> higher performance and more features.

Well not quite for anyone using indexing or who needs O(1) size, but
apart from that it should be a fully compatible replacement. At least
that was my intention, though I must confess I've never tried
substituting the clone for the current Data.Map in any code of my own
(never used either, I always use the raw AVL lib).

Are you speaking from experience, BTW?  :-)

> What would the disadvantages be
> to replacing Data.Map with this implementation?

Personally I don't really like the idea of Data.Map, Data.Map.AVL or
any other lib becoming entrenched as official or de-facto standards.
It seems like a recipe for stagnation to me. IMHO such libs just
shouldn't be bundled with ghc (or any other compiler) for this reason.

Regards
--
Adrian Hey