[Haskell-cafe] Tiny documentation request

Sven Panne sven.panne at aedion.de
Sun Sep 9 11:38:03 EDT 2007

On Sunday 09 September 2007 16:40, Andrew Coppin wrote:
> I have the following page bookmarked:
>
>   http://haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/libraries/
>
> I'd like to ask 2 things.
>
> 1. Would it be possible to make the *huge* list of package names at the
> top collapsable? (That way I don't have to scroll through several pages
> of uninteresting text to get to the bit I actually want.)

What do you mean exactly with "the *huge* list of package names"? The
description list with the short textual descriptions of each package? I'd say
that this list is highly interesting to people unfamiliar with the package
structure, so it is good that it is there.

> 2. Could we make is so all items are collapsed initially? (Currently
> they're all expended initially - which makes it take rather a long time
> to find anything.)

Again this depends on the use case: I'd vote strongly against collapsing the
list initially, because that way the incremental search in Firefox won't work
without un-collapsing everything.

When the index is generated with a more recent Haddock, you get a search
field, which does an incremental search, so this might perhaps be more what
you are looking for.

A more aesthetical note: We should really get rid of the ugly table/CSS layout
mixture, the lower part of the page renders a bit ugly and varies between
browsers. Switching to pure CSS should be safe in 2007, I guess.

Cheers,
   S.