[Haskell-cafe] Elevator pitch for Haskell.

Dan Weston westondan at imageworks.com
Tue Sep 4 19:53:47 EDT 2007

And here's my guide for public health officials...

WARNING: Learning Haskell is dangerous to your health!

Disguised as a fully-functional programming language, Haskell is
actually a front for a working math-lab, supported by a cult of
volunteers seeking to ensnare weak-headed but normal programmers
susceptible to the dogma that laziness is a virtue.

Though cut with syntactic sugar to be more palatable to newbies, each
Haskell construct is in fact a contagious mix of higher-order functions,
lambda expressions, and partial applications, a highly addictive gateway
drug to category theory, initial algebras, and greco-morphisms.

Some users have gotten trapped inside an IO monad unable to get out
safely, and even gone mad trying to decipher commutative diagrams or
perfect their own monad tutorial. Signs of addiction include prefixing
co- to random words or needlessly replacing recursive functions with
combinators and pointfree notation. The least fixed point of this
unnatural transformation is the inability to find joy in the use of
imperative programming languages. In some cases, hackage is irreversible
and can lead to uncontrolled blogging.

Further study is needed to understand the strong correlation between
intelligence and Haskell addiction. Meanwhile, those at risk should be
made to program in teams to suppress their creative drive.

Dan Weston