[Haskell-cafe] Extending the idea of a general Num to other types?

Peter Verswyvelen bf3 at telenet.be
Mon Sep 3 13:22:57 EDT 2007

Okay. Now the following might not make sense at all, but... isn't the
abstract concept of a list just a sequence of elements (okay, with a
whole lot of extra properties)? So couldn't we write:   do { 1;2;3;4 }
instead of [1,2,3,4] somehow for some special "list builder" monad? And
then do {1;2;3;4 } could be lifted to any kind of structure when you run
it through a different builder. Ah, I guess not... I'm not familiar
enough with monads.