[Haskell-cafe] Re: RE: Definition of the Haskell standard library

Ketil Malde ketil at ii.uib.no
Mon Sep 3 02:41:08 EDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-09-01 at 23:53 +0200, Benjamin Franksen wrote:
> Sven Panne wrote:

> > Well, on a normal Linux distro a user should *never* have to call cabal (or
> > any of its cousins) directly, the distro's package manager should be the used
> > instead.

> This is very theoretical.

Perfect is the enemy of good?

> I use debian (stable) and have to install non-deb
> Haskell libraries all the time. No way distro package maintainers can
> provide packages for each and every library out there, and even
> for 'standard' libs (whatever that may mean) sometimes you need a newer or
> an older version of a certain library (relative to what the distro offers).

Ubuntu (which gets most of its packages from Debian) lists 60
GHC-related packages (apt-cache search libghc), which hopefully serves
to build a reasonable set of applications.

Ideally, Hackage could be provide its libraries as apt/yum repositories
- at least for libraries that are reasonably stable and with reasonable
quality.

-k