[Haskell-cafe] Re: RE: Definition of the Haskell standard library

Benjamin Franksen benjamin.franksen at bessy.de
Sat Sep 1 17:53:21 EDT 2007

Sven Panne wrote:
> On Tuesday 31 July 2007 19:39, Duncan Coutts wrote:
>> [...]
>> The docs for those packages would be available for packages installed
>> via cabal (assuming the user did the optional haddock step) and would
>> link to each other.
>
> Well, on a normal Linux distro a user should *never* have to call cabal
(or
> any of its cousins) directly, the distro's package manager should be the
used
> instead.

This is very theoretical. I use debian (stable) and have to install non-deb
Haskell libraries all the time. No way distro package maintainers can
provide packages for each and every library out there, and even
for 'standard' libs (whatever that may mean) sometimes you need a newer or
an older version of a certain library (relative to what the distro offers).

>> On some systems (windows, gnome) there are dedicated help viewers that
>> can help with this contents/index issue. haddock supports both (mshelp,
>> devhelp). I'm not sure everyone would find that a sufficient solution
>> however.
>
> A "install-haddock" tool would be the solution IMHO.

Yes.

Cheers
Ben