[Haskell-cafe] Re: Why can't Haskell be faster?

Paulo J. Matos pocm at soton.ac.uk
Wed Oct 31 10:07:58 EDT 2007

On 31/10/2007, Peter Hercek <peter at syncad.com> wrote:
> Add to that better unbox / box annotations, this may make even
>   bigger difference than the strictness stuff because it allows
>   you to avoid a lot of indirect references do data.
>
> Anyway, if Haskell would do some kind of whole program analyzes
>   and transformations it probably can mitigate all the problems
>   to a certain degree.

So, I might assert that it is not a problem of the Haskell language
itself, it is a problem with the compiler. Which means that with
enough effort it would be possible for the compiler to generate
compiled code with performance as good as Clean.

> So the slowness of Haskell (compared to Clean) is consequence of
>   its type system. OK, I'll stop, I did not write Clean nor Haskell
>   optimizers or stuff like that :-D

type system? Why is that? Shouldn't type system in fact speed up the
generated code, since it will know all types at compile time?