[Haskell-cafe] SYB3 codebase

Mads Lindstrøm mads_lindstroem at yahoo.dk
Fri Oct 19 13:59:37 EDT 2007

Hi Greg

To the best of my knowledge it is not maintained anymore :(

If you want to use it, you should properly make use of this patch:
http://autoforms.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/autoforms/trunk/AForms/SYB3_Shelarcy.diff?revision=234&view=markup&pathrev=400
The patch was made by Kido Takahiro (aka. Shelarcy). The patch makes
SYB3 compile with GHC 6.6 and GHC 6.8.

However, I do not _think_ anybody else currently uses SYB3 with this
patch. As far as I know, I was the only user and I have recently
migrated to
http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/syb-with-class-0.3 (hereafter know as HappS-SYB3). HappS-SYB3 is based on the SYB3 code you mention, but the code has been changed quite a bit compared to using the Shelarcy patch. So it will properly require some more work. On the other hand, I think the http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/syb-with-class-0.3 version is better maintained, as it is used in HappS project.

I have not been able to find any documentation for HappS-SYB3. I _think_
it is because the HappS folks main focus is to use it to support the
HappS project.

I've have emailed the HappS maintainer about my usage of HappS-SYB3, but
I am yet to receive an answer. Thus I have no idea of his position on my
usage of HappS-SYB3.

If I was you, I would use the Shelarcy patch first, as it will require
less work. When everything is working I would migrate to HappS-SYB3, as
they have an interest in maintaining their version.

Greetings,

Mads Lindstrøm

P.s. if you decide using the Shelarcy patch then apply it with:

> patch -u -dSYB3 <SYB3_Shelarcy.diff

Greg Meredith: