[Haskell-cafe] Re: Proposal: register a package as providing several API versions

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Thu Oct 18 10:20:05 EDT 2007

On Oct 18, 2007, at 4:57 , Simon Marlow wrote:

> depend on API versions (including minor versions) that you haven't
> tested, or (b) use explicit import lists and allow minor version
> changes only. Incedentally, this reminds me that GHC should have a
> warning for not using explicit import lists (perhaps only for
> external package imports).

Which reminds me that it would be nice to be able to ask for a list
of what imports I need to specify (i.e. what names from the module
are actually used).  A case in point would be the example of "non-
monadic I/O" I sent to the list the other day:  I wanted to specify
minimal imports, but couldn't think of a way to do it aside from
specifying very small import lists and iteratively adding things as
the compile failed.

(This may actually already exist and I don't know enough ghc options
to do it....)

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu