[Haskell-cafe] Hosting of Haskell project

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Mon Oct 15 03:02:40 EDT 2007

On Sun, Oct 14, 2007 at 15:22:13 +0100, Ian Lynagh wrote:
>On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 05:05:28PM +0100, Magnus Therning wrote:
>>
>> I've almost reached a state where I wouldn't be ashamed of sharing the
>> code so I looked into my options of free hosting.
>>
>> It seems I only have one option for publishing the code:
>>
>>  - Request a project on code.haskell.org.
>>
>> I could only find one option for a "homepage" for the project:
>>  - Create a page on the Wiki.
>>
>> There seems to be no option when it comes to tracking bugs. :-(
>>
>> I could also not locate any option for publishing haddock pages. :-(
>
>We'd like community.haskell.org to be usable for all of this, it just
>needs someone to ask us for something, and then us to get around to
>setting it up.
>
>Currently source repos go on code.haskell.org.
>
>We could perhaps have web pages on projects.haskell.org, and some sort
>of bug tracker on bugs.haskell.org (or perhaps trac.haskell.org etc).
>Would it be better to make things consistent for users, and have all
>projects use trac (or something else), or for each project to be able
>to easily use the bug tracker of their choice?

It sounds like things are moving in a good direction.  I have some
suggestions on what is currently there:

 1. Make sure that requesting an account via the web form works.  I
    was met with a 500 when I tried a few days ago.  (I reported it and
    [rt.haskell.org #92] is the ticket ID.)

 2. Make the flow more explicit.  It isn't clear that one needs an
    account before requesting the creation of a project.  It doesn't
    have to be enforced in code on the site, just a bit of text would be
    enough.

My thoughts:

 - Offer as few options as possible, ideally just offer one.  Trac is a
   good example of something that's good enough.  It combines homepage,
   documentation, bug tracking and VC inspection in one tool.  The main
   reason for offering just one option: minimise the burden
   administration (I'm assuming administrators are volunteers).
   Secondary reason: consistency for users.
 - Have one instance of trac¹ on trac.haskell.org per project.
 - Have one entry point that is separate from trac.haskell.org.  I think
   this is what Hackage is supposed to be.

/M

¹ I'm just using trac and trac.haskell.org as examples without really
saying that's what should be used.

magnus@therning.org             Jabber: magnus.therning@gmail.com
http://therning.org/magnus