[Haskell-cafe] On the verge of ... giving up!

Vimal j.vimal at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 10:04:46 EDT 2007

> In my opinion (other may think differently) it is not a good idea to
> learn IO by starting with trying to grasp the theoretical foundation for
> monads. In the beginning you should just view the IO monad as Haskell's
> way of doing imperative IO stuff. When you feel comfortable with Haskell
> IO, then try to learn a couple of other monads. Then maybe this article
> http://sigfpe.blogspot.com/2006/05/grok-haskell-monad-transformers.html
> about monad transformers. It is good because it do not try to explain
> the implementation details of monad transformers - just how you use
> them. When you have done all that, then you should be ready for all the
> details.

Alright, this post seems interesting. Will try it out soon!

> As I wrote above, I think you are trying to understand too many details
> at once. Also a textbook can sometimes be helpful. But you also have a
> learning by doing approach, which I personally find very productive.

Yeah, this has always been a problem with me. Its like browsing
Wikipedia. Open an article, and you branch out like anything.
Curiosity does kill the cat :(

> And do not give up yet. Haskell has a lot to offer and I think it is
> well worth the steep learning curve.

Nope. I enjoy learning it, just waiting to hit the peak!
Someone creative enough should draw the learning curve for Haskell :D.
I remember some funny ones for text editors!
(emacs had a spiral...)