[Haskell-cafe] New slogan for haskell.org

Derek Elkins derek.a.elkins at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 19:10:38 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 23:48 +0100, Philippa Cowderoy wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Andrew Coppin wrote:
>
> > (I'm less sold on whether you really need to learn a particular dialect
> > well enough to *program* in it...)
> >

> If you don't then you won't be able to see how complicated things actually
> get done. It's also an important exercise in abstracting things and
> keeping something understandable when the system you're building is
> fighting back against it.

As you might imagine, I agree with Philippa.  You can certainly be a
competent programmer without being "able" to program in assembly, but
there is a definite step in understanding between having an idea of what
is happening in assembly and being confident in your ability to write
non-trivial programs in it.