[Haskell-cafe] Re: PROPOSAL: New efficient Unicode string library.

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 17:05:38 EDT 2007

> I do not believe that anyone was seriously advocating multiple blessed
> encodings.  The main question is *which* encoding to bless.  99+% of
> text I encounter is in US-ASCII, so I would favor UTF-8.  Why is UTF-16
> better for me?

All software I write professional have to support 40 languages
(including CJK ones) so I would prefer UTF-16 in case I could use
Haskell at work some day in the future. I dunno that who uses what
encoding the most is good grounds to pick encoding though. Ease of
implementation and speed on some representative sample set of text may
be.

-- Johan