[Haskell-cafe] Design of a Physics Interface

Dan Weston westondan at imageworks.com
Fri Nov 30 14:26:28 EST 2007

There seems to be three salient benefits of using arrows, as I read the
Abstract and Introduction of Benjamin Lerner, "Arrow Laws and Efficiency
in Yampa", 2003,
http://zoo.cs.yale.edu/classes/cs490/03-04a/benjamin.lerner/

1) The discipline of using arrows assists in avoiding space-leaks
    "The reasons underlying this...primarily stemmed from the
     availability of signals as first-class values."
    [the "ugly pain" you experience up front saves you
     chronic pain later. Self-discipline is the key to a happy life.]

2) Arrow syntax    analogous to circuit diagrams =>
    Arrow semantics analogous to signal processing
    [a mental/software model that resembles a physical model
     helps intuitive reasoning by analogy]

3) Satisfying arrow laws guarantees soundness of signal function type
    [you can have faith in the results of your simulation if the basic
     plumbing has been stress-tested in advance.]

* The stuff in brackets is my own interpretation

The overall impression I get is that using arrows makes simulations more
scalable as overall simulation complexity increases. It will be good to
get another use-case for this domain of application.