[Haskell-cafe] Re: New slogan for haskell.org

apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Tue Nov 27 16:33:41 EST 2007

David Menendez wrote:
> Thomas Davie wrote:
>
>> But the point is that this section of the site is the bit that's meant
>> to be an advertisement -- we're trying to encourage people to read
>> more,
>

> Are we? I thought Haskell.org was intended to describe what Haskell *is*.
> There are plenty of articles and blog posts and wiki pages out there that
> advocate Haskell. I don't see why the main web page needs to be polluted
> with marketing.

Agreed! I hate marketing! The facts can speak for themselves, if you
need somebody to "explain" them, then something's wrong.

More specifically, "fact" means something that you can easily check
yourself. "Robust"/"maintainable"/"testable" code are things you _can't_
easily check yourself without already learning the language.

But "shorter code" is a fact you can easily check, for instance with
quicksort as example. In fact, "short code" is the reason why I picked
up Haskell. Back then, I was given the task to calculate some sequence
of numbers which I did in one page of C code. So far so good, but when I
asked the task assigner about his solution, he responded: "Ah, this
problem, that's 1 line in Haskell. Well, 2 lines if the terminal is too
small." Such power! Hearing just this was more than enough reason for me
to learn Haskell and to never look back.

Regards,
apfelmus