[Haskell-cafe] New slogan for haskell.org

Thomas Schilling nominolo at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 27 10:15:22 EST 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 09:44 -0500, David Menendez wrote:
> On Nov 26, 2007 1:44 PM, Thomas Davie <tom.davie at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>         But the point is that this section of the site is the bit
>         that's meant
>         to be an advertisement -- we're trying to encourage people to
>         read
>         more,
>
> Are we? I thought Haskell.org was intended to describe what Haskell
> *is*. There are plenty of articles and blog posts and wiki pages out
> there that advocate Haskell. I don't see why the main web page needs
> to be polluted with marketing.

If someone hears/reads someone talk about Haskell they're probably not
going to browse through all the blog posts to find out bits and pieces.
They go to the first hit that comes up whan typing "Haskell" into
Google, which is www.haskell.org.

The very basics of web-usability include that users have to find what
they're looking for very, very quickly or they're going somewhere else
or simply lose interest.  That is why the contents of the home page are
very important.  Let's not miss this opportunity.

/ Thomas