[Haskell-cafe] problems building ycr2js

Thomas Hartman tphyahoo at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 09:45:51 EST 2007

Thanks Brandon. I'm on ubuntu feisty.

This breakage is a manifestation of

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dash/+bug/61463

Basically, feisty switched the default shell to "dash" (which I'd
never heard of) from bash, because dash runs faster. But it's not 100%
compatible.

This was very controversial, but it appears that the feisty devs are
not amenable to switching /bin/sh back to bash, despite massive script
breakage, because using dash as default saves them tim. I must say, I
disagree with this move; and feel a bit let down by a distro that
overall has been very good to me.

Feisty devs suggest people fix the underlying problem, which is that
/bin/sh should not assume bash as default, but specify bash
explicitly. So I guess this is what should be done in the case of
building ycr2js; either that or make it dash compatible.

I will try to fix this myself by editing the makefile. I'll also
volunteer to the buildbot.

FWIW, this shouldn't affect ubuntu dapper (long term support) as they
still do the expected thing with sh.

thomas.