[Haskell-cafe] problems building ycr2js

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Sat Nov 24 19:08:42 EST 2007

On Nov 24, 2007, at 17:07 , Thomas Hartman wrote:

>                         ltag=`echo ${tag:1} | tr [:upper:] [:lower:]
> ` ; \
>                         echo "  interface HTML${tag:0:1}${ltag}Element
> : HTMLElement {" >> W3C/addtags.idl ; \
(...)
> /bin/sh: Syntax error: Bad substitution

Translation:  "This program only works on Linux."

That variable substitution is not supported by /bin/sh on any system
where /bin/sh is not bash, which is to say any system that is not
Linux.  (And possibly even not on some Linuxes; I think I've heard at
least one distribution has tried to break the bash dependency, but
I'm sure they'll go back soon because of all the people complaining
about how "broken" it is.)

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu