[Haskell-cafe] More problems [Tetris]

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Thu Nov 22 14:58:31 EST 2007

On Nov 22, 2007, at 14:22 , Andrew Coppin wrote:

> My first question would be:
>
> - Is there a viable alternative to sh scripts for installing packages?
>
> If there is, it would seem it's just an issue of getting everybody
> to migrate to it. If there isn't, it looks like we need to make one...

ActiveState Perl?

Unfortunately, as long as you can't guarantee everything being
installed in consistent places and/or invoked in consistent ways
(which on Windows is well-nigh impossible due to conflicting version
requirements) you need a way to search the system for stuff.  If you
don't want to require that people on Windows have a reasonable
scripting language installed for such, you get to bundle (or write) one.

It would be nice if Windows devs had come up with something like pkg-
config; it'd be possible to do a minimal implementation just using
CMD.EXE scripts (don't bother with the full GNU pkg-config framework,
just have each package bundle a %foo%-CONFIG.CMD that dumps
locations, compiler flags, etc. in an easily parsed form) and then a
relatively simple Haskell module could check for packages by running
their config scripts.  But this requires convincing all the non-
Haskell third party libraries (GLUT, SDL, etc.) to add config scripts
to their distributions; practically, I don't see this happening.

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu