[Haskell-cafe] expanded standard lib

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 21 14:41:41 EST 2007

Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> | Well, I've already filed 4 bugs against GHC. One was already fixed by
> | GHC 6.8.1 (yays!), one is trivial and will be fixed in 6.8.2, and the
> | other two it seems nobody is keen to work on. (In fairness, one of them
> | is fairly nontrivial.) I get the impression that I'd probably be
> | regarded as a pest if I just spent all day filing endless bug reports...
>
> No, you would emphatically not be regarded as a pest.  We _really like_ well-characterised bug reports, most especially if they come with reproducible test cases.  Please go ahead and submit them.  (Caveat: pls try to check that there isn't an already-open report on the bug. Granted, you can't do a 100% perfect job on this.)

Well, let me see. So far I've filed 4 bugs:

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/1869       [It's already
fixed. Yays!]

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/1891       [Yeah, we missed
that one, we'll fix it.]

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/1874       [We'll maybe fix
it; we're not keen.]

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/1868       [We're not sure
how to fix this.]
[In fairness, neither am I now!]

It seems you guys like simple easy things that are obviously bugs. (I
thought 1874 was "clearly" a bug and should be fixed, but hey.) And it
seems you are much less keen on more fuzzy things where it's not clear
what The Right Thing(tm) actually is. (I guess that's understandable.) I
guess *every* bugfix is easy for the person who doesn't have to write
it. ;-)

(BTW, does anybody other than igloo look at these? He must be one
*really* busy guy!)

Lest it seem like all I do is sit here and complain... I did actually
make a serious attempt to fix 1874 myself. But I couldn't figure out
where to look. In the end, I basically just gave up because I'm not sure
what I'm doing.

> | (On the other hand, even things that I should theoretically be able to
> | do I haven't managed to. You might remember a while back I offered to
> | try to spruce up the Haddoc documentation for Parsec. It has a great
> | user manual, but the Haddoc reference is Spartan. Well anyway, in the
> | end I couldn't figure out how to do that, so nothing got done...)
>
> Did you ask Haskell-Cafe?  I bet you'd get help with whatever you are stuck on.

I believe I did, and I don't recall getting an answer. I suppose the
only way to know is to have a wade through the list archives. (It was
way too long ago for the message to be in my mailbox any more!)