[Haskell-cafe] expanded standard lib

Mikhail Gusarov dottedmag at dottedmag.net
Tue Nov 20 04:05:23 EST 2007

Simon Peyton-Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com> writes:

> * Hardest of all: evolution.  Both GHC's user manual and library docs
> change every release.  Even material that doesn't change can get moved
> (e.g. section reorganisation).  We don't want to simply discard all
> user notes!  But it's hard to know how to keep them attached; after
> all they may no longer even be relevant.  They almost certainly don't
> belong in the source-code control system.

I've had a discussion with AltLinux team members, which are trying to
solve the similar problem: they need to mark user-provided content in
their wiki as "obsolete" as the time passes.

Solution we've found so far looks like this:

- Author of comment may change it anytime.

- Every comment has 'added/modified for version X.Y' tag, which is
  changed to the current version when author changes the comment
  (probably just saying "still valid for new version" in interface).

This scheme may be too restrictive and can be relaxed, so not only
author may change the comments, but other users too.

JID: dottedmag at jabber.dottedmag.net