[Haskell-cafe] expanded standard lib

brad clawsie clawsie at fastmail.fm
Mon Nov 19 15:32:14 EST 2007

> > The problem is that only one person gets to comment on the quality of
> > a library, the author, who is about the least objective person.

i would just like to add that i have had a great deal of success with
hackage and find that most libraries support what they say they will
support, but often there is missing functionality that the original
authors have not attended to for some reason. bugs haven't impacted me
as much as missing/incomplete features.

by rolling certain libraries into a base distribution, i was implying
that there would be more eyeballs focusing on making them
feature-complete. furthermore, by closely associating these libraries
into a base distribution, there will be a sense of urgency associated
with closing major bugs.

in any case, batteries included or not, ghc seems to have reached a
point of stability, high performance, and lots of neat fundamental
features that it can be left alone for a short time. i would love to
see 2008 be the year we direct time and effort to solve filling holes
in the libraries.

perhaps an online tool for voting for missing libraries or features
would help us assess where to direct efforts.