[Haskell-cafe] Why are OCaml and Haskell being used at these companies?

Seth Gordon sethg at ropine.com
Wed Nov 14 11:02:33 EST 2007

Jon Harrop wrote:

> When functional languages achieve these goals I believe the total number of
> users will increase dramatically as scientists and engineers adopt them
> alongside their standard tools. Bioinformaticians are among the first to
> adopt functional programming languages but I believe more mainstream natural
> sciences will follow.

FWIW, a few years ago, when I was stubbornly unemployed[*], I wrangled a
fifteen-minute informational interview with Kenan Sahin[**].  He advised
me to look for work related to medical devices, on the grounds that as
the US population got older there would be greater and greater demand
for medical equipment, and software is becoming a more and more
important component of these devices.

[*]  I had been working for Whitehead on the Human Genome Project,
thinking that an academic job would be the perfect place to ride out the
dot-com crash.  Then they finished sequencing the human genome and
didn't need so many programmers.  So much for academic job security.

[**] Sahin had founded of a company that I had worked for, which he had
sold to Lucent for 1.5 gigabucks shortly *before* the dot-com crash.