[Haskell-cafe] Why are OCaml and Haskell being used at these companies?

Jon Harrop jon at ffconsultancy.com
Wed Nov 14 06:02:01 EST 2007

On Wednesday 14 November 2007 10:55, luc.taesch wrote:
> do not expect it to be a lead to mass expansion for tommorow...

I think the functional programming market is far from saturated though: there
are still many inroads to make into areas like technical computing that stand
to benefit a lot from functional languages but require unconventional
characteristics (like complex literals, vector and matrix routines,
visualization etc.).

When functional languages achieve these goals I believe the total number of
users will increase dramatically as scientists and engineers adopt them
alongside their standard tools. Bioinformaticians are among the first to
adopt functional programming languages but I believe more mainstream natural
sciences will follow.