[Haskell-cafe] MD5?

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Fri Nov 9 15:00:55 EST 2007

Don Stewart wrote:
> andrewcoppin:
>
>> Don Stewart wrote:
>>
>>> You might like to test against,
>>>
>>>    http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/nano-md5-0.1
>>>
>>> which is a strict bytestring openssl binding.
>>>

>> Is that likely to work on Windows?
>>
>> Much as I'd love a 100% Haskell implementation [that goes fast], I do
>> also have a certain amount of time pressure here. (I.e., I'm attempting
>> to use Haskell "for work purposes". ;-)
>>

> do you have the OpenSSL library on windows?

Ah... no, but I understand it has been made to work. (E.g., PuTTY uses
it AFAIK, and that works fine here.) Don't know how easy it is to get
hold of source...

Alternatively, would it be simpler for me to track down the source for
the Unix "md5sum" program and do some FFI on that? (Bearing in mind, I
don't know how FFI works and I don't know C.)

The final alternative is that I just call MD5SUM.EXE from my Haskell
program and try to parse the output. But that strikes me as rather messy.