[Haskell-cafe] Building Haskell stuff on Windows

Arthur van Leeuwen arthurvl at cs.uu.nl
Wed Nov 7 17:20:01 EST 2007

On 7-nov-2007, at 17:43, Neil Mitchell wrote:

> Hi Arthur,
>
> The correct steps to take are:
>
> 1) install GHC from the windows installer - trivial
> 2) install Gtk2hs from the windows installer
>
> Unfortunately Gtk2hs hasn't been updated to work with GHC 6.8.1, so
> step 2 will fail. The person who is going to do this is Duncan. He
> usually breaks down and does this once people start complaining on the
> mailing list.
>
>>         - Installed MinGW 5.1.3
>
> Generally, if you have to install MinGW you can pretty much guarantee
> that something somewhere is going to go wrong - not enough people test
> this route to make it reliable.

Actually, the MinGW/MSYS thing was also necessary for another package
that
I needed, plus, the GTK2Hs build instructions explicitly state that
you need it.

Oh, and I *definitely* liked the vim and bash that I got from it. No
cmd.exe
and it's odd syntax for me! :)

> Windows and Haskell is not a well travelled route, but if you stray of
> the cuddly installer packages, it gets even worse.

But it shouldn't. Really it shouldn't. Even though Windows is not my
preferred platform, it is by no means different enough to warrant such
additional complexity. Plus, GHC is developed at Microsoft, and the
currently most featureful Haskell IDE is on Windows...

With kind regards, Arthur. (Who will surely do more Windows development
	with Haskell soonish)

--

   /\    / |       arthurvl at cs.uu.nl       | Work like you don't need
the money