[Haskell-cafe] FP design

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 16:32:16 EST 2007

Hello Andrew,

>> for me, abstraction is anything that i want to be an abstraction. i
>> just write code in the close-to-natural language and it becomes
>> Haskell program when appropriate syntax applied.

> Well, in my experience, figuring out just the right abstractions to use

i don't think about abstractions, just using top-down approach. for
me, FP benefit is that when you see that some two things are similar -
you can factor out this similarity. in OOP, you should translate it
into some class interface, in Haskell you just define parameterized
code/data and it works. selection of good abstractions based on these
two criteria: 1) factoring out common parts and 2) existence of
natural description of the factored part. if i don't see natural
description, i can slightly change the factored part

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com