[Haskell-cafe] FP design

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 6 14:55:58 EST 2007

Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> Hello Andrew,
>
> Tuesday, November 6, 2007, 9:34:34 PM, you wrote:
>

>> It used to be easier with OOP. I'm still not quite sure how to pick the
>> best possible abstractions in an FP context...
>>

> for me, abstraction is anything that i want to be an abstraction. i
> just write code in the close-to-natural language and it becomes
> Haskell program when appropriate syntax applied.

Well, in my experience, figuring out just the right abstractions to use
is the difference between a huge pile of code that really doesn't quite
work right, and a much smaller, simpler, more capable program.
Unfortunately, figuring out the best way to divide up a given problem
usually requires a lot of trial and error. (I was just starting to get
good at it in OOP... now I'm back at the bottom. Heh!)