[Haskell-cafe] Language extensions

Dougal Stanton ithika at gmail.com
Wed May 30 05:22:07 EDT 2007

On 28/05/07, Andrew Coppin <andrewcoppin at btinternet.com> wrote:
> Then again, later on in the very same book there's a chapter entitled
> "Fun with Phantom Types", which made precisely no sense at all...
>
> (I find this a lot with Haskell. There is stuff that is clearly written,
> fairly easily comprehensible, and extremely interesting. And then
> there's stuff that no matter how many times you read it, it just makes
> no sense at all. I'm not sure exactly why that is.)

Agreed, that does seem to happen a lot. I was utterly baffled by the
chapter on functors in HSE. It wasn't until I spent a rainy weekend on
my own in Aberdeen (harsh, I know) that I read the chapter enough
times to figure what it actually meant.

Of course at that point I thought it was fabulous and wanted to tell
someone. But I was still alone in the greyest city on Earth...

D.