[Haskell-cafe] Haskell and AI

Andrew Wagner wagner.andrew at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 14:42:28 EDT 2007

>  I agree with Andrew Wagner re: Haskell and AI.
>
> There are some relevant resources on Haskell, Maths, and Logic:
>
> The Haskell Road To Logic, Maths And Programming (Paperback)
> by Kees Doets (Author), Jan van Eijck (Author)
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Haskell-Road-Logic-Maths-Programming/dp/0954300696/ref=sr_1_1/103-5196905-1677457?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174327994&sr=1-1

I liked this book. What parts did you have in mind specifically as
being relevant to AI?

> van Eijck has another book on Computational Semantics. Elsewhere, there is
> work on learning algorithms in Haskell.
>
> Broadly, we might start by gathering known resources, projects, and people.
> We could consider one of the standard AI books as a guide for chapters,
> sections, and problems to fill in with Haskell approaches.

I like this idea. On the other thread [1] Ricardo Herrmann suggested
following the structure of "AI: A Modern Approach", the classical text
[2] by Russell and Norvig. Do others agree? I think we should carve
out a section of the wiki, in the Applications and Libraries section
[3] for AI, which should then be split into (at least) a section each
for relevant papers, code, interesting AI problems with their
solutions, and a table-of-contents type page, structured according to
a text like this. Comments?

> I'd be very interested to contribute to this.

Maybe we should assemble an AI strike force? :)

[1] http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2007-March/023646.html
[2] http://aima.cs.berkeley.edu/
[3] http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Libraries_and_tools