[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] Haskell Chess

Andrew Wagner wagner.andrew at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 09:18:24 EDT 2007

Steffen,
I've done some chess AI programming in the past, so I'd be happy to
help with this project. I have some pretty fundamental design
suggestions that I'll write up for the wiki page.

Maxime,
Handling different chess engines isn't hard. chess engine
communication is pretty standardized - you would just need to add
support for the winboard and/or UCI protocols. FICS is a little bit
harder, but it's just a pure test stream over a socket, somewhat like
IRC, but less defined. ICC (another chess server) has a slightly
better-defined protocol. I can get you more details on any of these
protocols (except maybe FICS, which I don't think is documented), if
you'd like. By the way, how portable is your graphics code going to
be?

Sounds like this will be an interesting project. I look forward to it!

Andrew