[Haskell-cafe] Parallel + exceptions

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 10:52:00 EDT 2007

Hello Andrew,

Saturday, June 23, 2007, 5:59:45 PM, you wrote:

> The two things mentioned in the subject line are both things I've never
> tried with Haskell. I've seen a lot of papers about these things, but I
> don't really understand what the current state of play with this is. Are
> any of these things "production-ready" yet? And how do you use them in
> the real world?

definitive reading: "Tackling the awkward squad: monadic input/output,
concurrency, exceptions, and foreign-language calls in Haskell"
http://research.microsoft.com/Users/simonpj/papers/marktoberdorf/marktoberdorf.ps.gz

my program uses both, together with ^Break handling, and ~10 C++ and
Haskell threads running in parallel

in my experience, exceptions are rarely required in Haskell program -
i use them only to roll out when IO problems occur. OTOH, concurrency
is very handy in Haskell/GHC - it's easy to create threads and
communicate in reliable way, so it's a great tool to split algorithm
into subtasks. and GHC lightweight threads make it very cheap - you
may run thousands of threads. example program that uses one thread to
produce numbers and another to print them is less than 10 lines long

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com