[Haskell-cafe] Plugin Problem - Weirder

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at web.de
Thu Jun 21 12:41:07 EDT 2007

Am Donnerstag, 21. Juni 2007 10:22 schrieb Bayley, Alistair:
> > [mailto:haskell-cafe-bounces at haskell.org] On Behalf Of Daniel Fischer
> >
> > I suppose in contrast to the version from HackageDB, which I
> > got myself on
> > monday, the darcs version works with ghc >= 6.6, or I
> > probably would have
> > heard about it. So I'll try to get me that, only where?
>
> http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/hs-plugins/

I'd already tried that, but
$ darcs get --partial http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/hs-plugins/
Invalid repository:  http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/hs-plugins

darcs failed:  failed to fetch:
http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/hs-plugins/_darcs/inventory ExitFailure 1

Is my darcs too old (version 1.0.5) or is the repo actually broken?

> AFAIUI, version 1.0 will work with ghc6.6 on non-Windows platforms. It's
> been broken on Windows for some time, and I don't really know why. As
> you seem to be on Linux, this shouldn't affect you.
>
> Alistair

Well, again, the .tar.gz from HackageDB is tagged 1.0, it definitely doesn't
work with ghc-6.6.1 on my linux. And it apparently was packed in February, so
it shouldn't be too out of date.

Let me summarize my findings so you guys have something to reason from.
1) if I compile the module and execute the binary, I get
$ PlugTest
PlugTest: /tmp/MKtHcN2822.o: unknown symbol
`pluginszm1zi0_AltDataziDynamic_toDyn_closure'
PlugTest: user error (resolvedObjs failed.)

2) If I load the compiled code into ghci, load cannot ever find the symbol
resource, originally that is because it looks for main_resource_closure
instead of ModuleName_resource_closure.
Now I changed the code in System.Plugins.Load, so that load does look for the
correct symbol, with baffling results. In compiled code, all loads still
fail. If I load interpreted code into ghci, the first load succeeds, hooray!
But all subsequent loads fail, until I :reload (sometimes) or :load PlugTest
(that always worked so far). How come? When I added debugging output, I could
see that it looked for the correct symbols in the correct .o files, but only
the first found the symbol. Very peculiar.

Could somebody please enlighten me?

Thanks,
Daniel