[Haskell-cafe] Re: IDE?

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Sun Jun 17 18:56:51 EDT 2007

>>     files. However, once the core editor was complete,
>>     it was obvious that GNU Emacs has an incredibly
>>     large set of wonderful features, and that extending
>>     Ermacs to include “enough” of them was
>>     completely out of the question.
>>     The lessons learned from Ermacs lead to Distel,..
>> how is Yi going to avoid that trap?

> Here's the plan for world domination:
>..
> I frankly suspect that haskell is a lot more powerful than erlang, and therefore
> it will be way easier to write code for Yi than Ermacs.
>..
> Also, I suspect haskell will become more popular than erlang, and the
> contributions to the respective editor of choice proportional.
>..

i didn't know that Yi had acquired a tongue-in-cheek mode
already!-) at least i hope that's what it was, because the ermacs
lesson was not about contributing code or better language, but
about sheer size and momentum being in favour of the weaker
solution.

that's not to say that Yi isn't worthwhile - having a haskell-only
editor solution available can be useful at times, and being able
to write a useful one is a good test of the language.

claus