[Haskell-cafe] Indentation woes

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 18:15:16 EDT 2007

Hi

> Why do you think it should be allowed?  The current rules are arbitrary,
> but they are quite simple; we don't want to add an ad-hoc exception just
> for this.

The current rules are already quite complex, I believe there is some
thought being given as to how to simplify them.

> Out of curiousity, what do you find objectionable about (legal):
>
> function argument argument2
>  | guard = body
>  | guard = body
>
> as compared to (currently illegal):
>
> function argument argument2
> | guard = body
> | guard = body

Personally, I have no problem with the current way (and would consider
anything other than 4 leading spaces in the first example to be evil).
However, if you are using a text editor which doesn't automatically
indent the start of following lines, it might be a bit more annoying.
Of course, if your editor is that bad you should consider changing to
virtually anything which isn't notepad.

Thanks

Neil