[Haskell-cafe] Re: Frustrating experience of a wannabe contributor

Asumu Takikawa asumu at cyberberry.com
Wed Jul 18 18:10:12 EDT 2007

On 23:25 Wed 18 Jul     , Andreas Marth wrote:
> Thanks for again pointing out that I didn't want another way to get the
> information, but I have to defend Simon.
> [...]
> 1) make the wiki search function return all documents containig the search
> term (who can do that?)
> 2) consider creating a new wiki topic "Problems and solutions working with
> haskell"

On a related note, I have found that the Haskell wiki has some really
great articles on topics, but there's often no clear path to get to
them. I would argue that improving search isn't the right solution to
this (search should be a last resort, IMHO).

I've often thought the Haskell wiki could be improved with portal pages
akin to what Wikipedia does for topics that are prominent on the front
page.

e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Science

When one looks at the Haskell homepage now, there's a link to "Wiki
articles" which just links to an alphabetised category (good if you know
what you're looking for, not so good for browsing). Would adding some
portal-like pages for major wiki topics (e.g. theory, applications,
techniques, etc.) be useful? Or am I just missing some obvious pages
somewhere?

Cheers,
Asumu Takikawa