[Haskell-cafe] Haskell shootout game

Re, Joseph (IT) Joseph.Re at MorganStanley.com
Mon Jul 16 11:31:19 EDT 2007

Interestingly enough, we're doing something very similar for ACM at UIUC's
2007 MechMania XIII contest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechmania), an
AI competition hosted during our annual Reflections Projections
conference.

  I can't release too many details until the day of the contest (Oct
13), but it's tactical, grid based combat game where you get one day to
write an AI (while testing in a pre-arena of sorts that is rendered to a
video wall in the middle of the conference building's atrium) and then
the next morning we run a (usually double elimination) tournament and
display all the simulations on a giant projector.  You can look at
screenshots / client API docs from 2006 as an example until we post the
details the night of the contest.

  After the contest we post results, (hopefully) clean up the code, and
release it for people to play with.  We're not professionals, nor do we
mainly write games, but it should be clean enough for someone to modify
and play around with.

   I guess it goes without saying that you can actually enter the
contest proper by coming to the conference if you happen to live in the
middle of nowhere (Champaign-Urbana, IL USA).  Registration will be up
(www.acm.uiuc.edu/conference/) towards the end of summer.