[Haskell-cafe] In-place modification

Hugh Perkins hughperkins at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 07:45:57 EDT 2007

On 7/15/07, Sebastian Sylvan <sebastian.sylvan at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't see what the point of this is? Why do timings of different
> algorithms? Of course you could do the same optimization in any
> language, so why do you think it's relevant to change the algorithm in
> *one* of the languages and then make comparisons?

Sebastien,

Well, as you yourself said, different languages work differently, so there's
no point in trying to directly implement the C# algorithm in Haskell: it
just wont work, or it will be slow.  The same works from Haskell to C#.

So, you guys are Haskell experts, show the world what Haskell is capable
of.  Come up with algorithms to calculate prime numbers in Haskell that are:
- safe
- easy to understand/read/maintain
- fast

I'll ditch the "sieve of arastophenes" rule if you like.  Use any algorithm
you like.  Now that is fair I think?

I in turn will do my part to keep the C# version a step ahead of the Haskell
version.  It seems this is pretty easy :-D