[Haskell-cafe] Maintaining the community

Lutz Donnerhacke lutz at iks-jena.de
Fri Jul 13 07:01:16 EDT 2007

* Malcolm Wallace wrote:
> If anything, Usenet is even worse than mailing lists for volume,
> especially of spam.  Also, very few sites maintain their nntp servers
> adequately these days - e.g.  comp.lang.haskell has never made it to
> where I work.

I beg to differ. Of course, I'm an Usenet admin and involved in Usenet
administration since years.

Saing "no Usenet" is usually a sign of the famous "not invented here"
syndrom. I'd sugest to keep the 30+ years experience with large volume
distributed mass communication, instead of throwing good and infrastructure
and user interfaces away.

Wikis, Webformus and a lot of other Web 2.0 hypes are doomed to redo every
mistake which is solved since 20+ years.

MMDV.