[Haskell-cafe] Re: Functional dependencies *not* part of the next Haskell standard?

Dave Bayer bayer at math.columbia.edu
Thu Jul 12 08:55:00 EDT 2007

peterv <bf3 <at> telenet.be> writes:

> I tried to do something in CAL that I could not solve without
> functional dependencies. In their support forum, it got mentioned
> that func.deps propably won't make into the next Haskell standard...
> Any comments on that?

Here's a link "CAL for Haskell Programmers" for anyone who wondered
like myself...

http://quarkframework.blogspot.com/2006/09/cal-for-haskell-programmers.html

Functional dependencies were one of the first extensions I found a
need to learn, starting out in Haskell, as part of the crucial
extension "multiparameter type classes" which wouldn't work for me
without functional dependencies.

I then rewrote my code to avoid all of that, something one should
always consider doing. I'd still miss them in principle, and in
practice I'd expect to see them or something better survive in GHC, my
lone axe.

Maybe a certain conservatism in the language standards is ok, and
something better will come along. Wouldn't want people in 2017 seeing
this construct and having it read to them like the word "groovy".