[Haskell-cafe] haskell -> db, on Solaris

Daniil Elovkov daniil.elovkov at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 11 15:17:33 EDT 2007

2007/7/11, Bryan O'Sullivan <bos at serpentine.com>:
> Daniil Elovkov wrote:
>
> > Would you please tell me, what would be my choice if I wanted to
> > interact with MySql and Oracle from a Haskell program on Solaris?
>
> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Applications_and_libraries/Database_interfaces
>
> If you want to talk to MySQL, you have a few choices.
>
> HDBC has an ODBC interface that lets you use any ODBC provider, so
> you'll be able to talk to both MySQL and Oracle with it.
>
> HaskellDB can bridge to HDBC, I believe, so that will let you do
> type-safe SQL.
>
> There's also Takusen, which can talk to Oracle, but not MySQL.

Yes, thanks. But the emphasis was on Solaris. I don't quite understand
what is the common way to access databases on Solaris. Is it odbc? And
how Haskell libraries connect to that? I mean, Takusen is designed to
use odbc and nothing else (afaik), for example.

Maybe somebody has a successful exprerience of that?