[Haskell-cafe] Re: Too many packages on hackage? :-)

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Mon Jul 9 02:51:02 EDT 2007

ketil:
> On Mon, 2007-07-09 at 10:30 +1000, Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:
>
> > Another idea I've been pondering is allowing people to add links to
> > documentation for libraries
>
> My main worry about Hackage is that it is often hard to tell the current
> status of packages - it could easily develop into a huge list of mostly
> dead projects.
>
> The current deliverables seem to consist of a tar file and a package
> description, neither of them
> accurately dated.

Yes, I'd like uploader dates/names too. Something like:

    xmonad-0.3  - July 2007

> I'd like to see:
>   links to project home pages,

That's already provided via the 'homepage: ' field, see, e.g.

    http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/xmonad

>   darcs (devel) repositories,

    yes, I'd support a 'repository: ' field.

>   email address of maintainers.

    handled by the 'maintainer: ' field

> I'd also like browsable README and ChangeLog or similar. And what about a darcs-graph plot?

    a link to the README might be good. If there was a 'repository'
    field, we could automatically compute the darcs-graph, a la,

        http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/images/commits/community/

Who's our SoC hackage guy? To do list right here!