[Haskell-cafe] Re: Too many packages on hackage? :-)

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Sun Jul 8 20:30:42 EDT 2007

bulat.ziganshin:

> it's the nicest problem i can imagine :)
>
> > For browsing libraries, I like the wiki pages much more than hackage.
> > Can't those two be merged into one?
>
> may be we just need alternative single-page listing with FULL
> package descriptions instead of brief one. this should be rather close
> in amount of information to old wiki. "Categories" section on top of
> page should be enough for anyone who need pages split by category
>
> many years ago i already proposed to extend hackage to include
> information about general entities, not only packages uploaded to it.
> unfortunately, its author was not interested in this. i still think
> that joining up HCAR, libraries&tools wiki pages and hackage into the
> one information source will give us significant benefits, making
> searching of needed library easier, especially for casual haskellers.
> as you can see, in many cases, haskellers think that some libraries
> doesn't exist just because it's hard to find them

Another idea I've been pondering is allowing people to add links to
documentation for libraries, from their hackage page. We have a fair
few libs documented in blog form, here,

    http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Blog_articles

So adding links to those from the hackage page for the library would help.

-- Don