[Haskell-cafe] Re: Too many packages on hackage? :-)

apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Sun Jul 8 09:20:18 EDT 2007

Conrad Parker wrote:
> On 08/07/07, Neil Mitchell <ndmitchell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> > Looks like there's too many packages on hackage.haskell.org now for a
>> > single page listing:
>> >
>> >     http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/pkg-list.html
>> >
>> > Perhaps we can have a page with just the categories, with subpages
>> > hanging off?
>>
>> Please don't. With one large page I can search the entire page
>> quickly, and its only 6 printed pages long - I think most people here
>> will be used to a 12 page limit :-)
>>
>> In the future once its all nicely searchable, tagged, etc. we might
>> consider presenting the information in a different way, but one single
>> page is still fine.
>
> Also, the categorization doesn't quite correspond to, say, the library
> hierarchy. For example, tagsoup is listed under Data, whereas it
> exports modules under Text and could just as well be categorized under
> Web. Similarly, xmonad is listed under System, but you might
> reasonably expect to find it under User Interfaces (or Interfaces ...
> those two seem to overlap ;-).

For me, a single page makes it difficult to browse the list to "see
what's interesting" or to see what package would fit my current needs
most. Scrambled categorizations have the same effect. Also, I'd favor a
greater distinction between applications and libraries.

For browsing libraries, I like the wiki pages much more than hackage.
Can't those two be merged into one?

Regards,
apfelmus