[Haskell-cafe] Too many packages on hackage? :-)

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Sun Jul 8 05:31:19 EDT 2007

On 08/07/07, Neil Mitchell <ndmitchell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> > Looks like there's too many packages on hackage.haskell.org now for a
> > single page listing:
> >
> >     http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/pkg-list.html
> >
> > Perhaps we can have a page with just the categories, with subpages
> > hanging off?
>
> Please don't. With one large page I can search the entire page
> quickly, and its only 6 printed pages long - I think most people here
> will be used to a 12 page limit :-)
>
> In the future once its all nicely searchable, tagged, etc. we might
> consider presenting the information in a different way, but one single
> page is still fine.

Also, the categorization doesn't quite correspond to, say, the library
hierarchy. For example, tagsoup is listed under Data, whereas it
exports modules under Text and could just as well be categorized under
Web. Similarly, xmonad is listed under System, but you might
reasonably expect to find it under User Interfaces (or Interfaces ...
those two seem to overlap ;-).

I agree with Don that the current page is getting a bit long, but I
also agree with Neil that it would be better to search/browse by tags
(or by exported modules) than to simply break it up using the current
categories. Perhaps I'm just overly agreeable.

So ... how would one go about hacking on hackage, setting up a local
installation for testing, submitting patches etc?

cheers,

Conrad.